Interreg Europe is a funding programme that helps regional and local governments across Europe to develop and deliver better policy.
Aims & Objectives
The programme aims to improve EU cohesion policy through the exchange of experience, transfer of good practices and joint initiatives among 28 EU regions (+ Norway and Switzerland) on thematic objectives, such as innovation, SMEs, low carbon economy and environmental protection.
Interreg Europe supports cooperation across borders to jointly tackle common challenges and find shared solutions in fields such as health, environment, research, education, transport, sustainable energy and more.
The programme also offers opportunities for regional and local public authorities across Europe to share ideas and experience on public policy in practice, thereby improving strategies for their citizens and communities.
What does it support?
Interreg Europe contributes to all EU priorities and strives for better regional governance through capacity building and addresses the following topics:
- Research & innovation capacities
- SME competitiveness
- S3, industry and entrepreneurship
- Digital connectivity
- Energy efficiency
- Renewable energy
- Smart energy systems
- Climate change
- Water management
- Circular economy
- Nature & biodiversity
- Zero-carbon urban mobility
More connected Europe
- Sustainable TEN-T
- Sustainable mobility
More social Europe
- Social inclusion
- Integration of third-country nationals
- Health care
- Culture and sustainable tourism
Europe closer to citizens
- Integrated urban development
- Integrated non-urban development
Better regional governance
Who can apply?
- national, regional, local public authorities
- other relevant bodies responsible for developing and/ or implementing regional development policies
- authorities responsible for developing and/ or implementing the Investment for jobs and growth programmes
Organisations relevant for regional development policies:
- Business support organisations (development agencies, innovation agencies, chambers of commerce, clusters, etc.)
- Environmental organisations (environmental agencies, energy agencies, NGOs, etc.)
- Education and research institutions (universities, research centres, etc.)
Find project partners on the dedicated partner database.
A total of €10,1 billion over 7 years.
OUR WAY - PreservatiOn and promotion of cUltural and natural heRitage through GreenWAYs
EUREGA - EUropean REgions of GAstronomy building resilience and creating economic growth
All funded projects from Ireland
National Contact Point in Ireland
The Interreg Europe contact point is shared between the Northern & Western Regional Assembly and the Southern Regional Assembly.
- David Minton, email@example.com, Northern & Western Regional Assembly (Northern & Western Region)
- David Kelly, dKelly@southernassembly.ie, Southern Regional Assembly (Southern Region)
Find open calls for Interreg Europe.
Want to find out more?
Interreg Europe Website
Sign up to the Interreg Europe Newsletter.
Test the relevance of your project idea with this self-assessment tool.
Join the Interreg Europe Community.
Explore project ideas.
Interreg Europe Partner-search tool
The Policy Learning Platform is a space for continuous learning where the policymaking community in Europe can tap into the knowhow of experts and peers.
Video: Interreg Europe - share solutions for success
Video: Interreg Europe - key project features
Interreg Europe Twitter
Interreg Europe Facebook