Interreg Atlantic Area is a European funding programme that promotes transnational cooperation among 36 Atlantic regions in five European countries.
Aims & Objectives
The programme's overall objective is to implement solutions to respond to regional challenges in the areas of innovation, resource efficiency, environment and cultural assets, supporting regional development and sustainable growth.
The programme priorities are:
- Priority 1: Stimulating innovation and competitiveness
- Priority 2: Fostering resource efficiency
- Priority 3: Strengthening the territory's resilience to risks of natural, climate and human origin
- Priority 4: Enhancing biodiversity and the natural and cultural assets
- Priority 5: Technical Assistance
The Atlantic Area for 2021-2027 covers the western part of the Atlantic Ocean and includes all regions of Ireland and Portugal, as well as several French and Spanish regions close to or on the Atlantic Ocean coast.
The total list of 27 regions is as follows:
- Spain: País Vasco, Navarra, La Rioja, Cantabria, Principado de Asturias, Galicia, Andalucía, Islas Canarias
- France: Normandie (Haute Normandie and Basse Normandie), Pays-de-la-Loire, Bretagne, Nouvelle-Aquitaine (Aquitaine, Limousin, Poitou-Charentes)
- Ireland: Northern and Western, Southern, Eastern and Midland
- Portugal: Norte, Algarve, Centro, Lisboa, Alentejo, Região Autónoma das Açores, Região Autónoma de Madeira
What does it support?
Interreg Atlantic Area co-finances cooperation projects in the fields of:
- Innovation & Competitiveness
- Resource Efficiency
- Territorial Risks Management
- Biodiversity and
- Natural & Cultural Assets.
Who can apply?
The following organisations can benefit from funding:
- Business support organisations
- Social enterprises
- Third sector organisations
- Public authorities
- Education and training organisations
- Environmental protection agencies
- Local communities
- Civil society clusters
- Higher education bodies
- Research/innovation institutions
€113 million ERDF (up to 75% support per project) for the 2021-2027 programming period.
Funded projects with an Irish partner.
National Contact Point in Ireland
Northern & Western Regional Assembly is the national contact point for Interreg NPA in Ireland. Please contact Travis O Doherty at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find open calls for INTERREG Atlantic Area.
Want to find out more?
Atlantic Area Partner Database
Atlantic Area Facebook
Atlantic Area Twitter
Atlantic Area LinkedIn
Northern & Western Regional Assembly Facebook
Northern & Western Regional Assembly Twitter