Horizon Europe is the EU’s key funding programme for research and innovation.
Aims & Objectives
It aims to:
- strengthen the EU's scientific and technological bases and the European Research Area (ERA);
- boost Europe's innovation capacity, competitiveness and jobs;
- deliver on citizens’ priorities and the Sustainable Development Goals
What does it support?
It funds actions under its three pillars and one horizontal activity:
- Pillar 1: Excellent Science aims to increase the EU’s global scientific competitiveness. This pillar includes the Marie Skolodowska-Curie Actions which fund the development of excellent doctoral and postdoctoral training programmes and collaborative research projects.
- Pillar 2: Global Challenges and European Industrial Competitiveness supports research relating to societal challenges and reinforces technological and industrial capacities through its seven “clusters” or themes.
- Pillar 3: Innovative Europe aims to make Europe a frontrunner in market-creating innovation via the European Innovation Council.
- Widening Participation and Strengthening the European Research Area: This horizontal activity will increase support to EU Member States in their efforts to make the most of their national research and innovation potential.
Who can apply?
- Academia and higher education institutions
- Researchers and research centres
- Public bodies (local, regional, or national)
- Industry and private businesses
- Non-governmental organisations and nonprofits who would like to promote and facilitate engaged and ethical research into issues impacting their beneficiaries
Why the EU funds research and innovation
Read more about EU policy on the topic of Research and innovation
€95.5 billion over 7 years.
Re-InVest: Investing in the right to a home. This qualitative research project used a participatory action approach to co-construct policy knowledge. The research focused on the experience of lone parent families living in emergency homeless accommodation, particularly in relation to their experience of the private rental subsidy Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) and of Family Hubs, a new form of emergency.
National Contact Point in Ireland
Irish Universities Association (for Marie Skolodowska-Curie Actions MSCA actions)
Find open calls for Horizon Europe.
Want to find out more?
Horizon Europe - The EU Research & Innovation Programme
Horizon Europe Info Days 2021