- Rural development
- Sustainable development
- Active citizenship
- Community outreach and engagement
- Scientific innovation
- Technological innovation
- Policy, advocacy and campaigns
EU Project Experience
Substantial experience (several projects)
- RESPOND: Recruitment of local households as participants (Horizon 2020, partner)
- CvPP, Community based virtual Power Plant, building network of prosumers on Aran (Interreg North-West Europe, sub-partner)
- SEAFUEL: Feasibility study for Aran islands as hydrogen generator and storage (Interreg Atlantic Area, partner)
- HUGE: Continuation of SEAFUEL
- GEOFIT: Experimental geothermal installation into local house (Horizon 2020)
- DATACELLAR: Creating an EU wide federated data base (Horizon Europe, partner)
- LEAP: Creating a Local Energy Agency in the Gaeltacht region of County Galway (LIFE programme)
EU Funding Goals
Our goal is to establish the 3 Aran Islands as a centre of excellence for the energy transition.
As part of that, we see the islands as becoming a centre for research and development within the energy transition remit.
We already have a scientific research station established on Inis Meain. Also the local population are very much behind this vision and are making their homes and businesses available as locations for on-the-ground research.
- We have 5 people employed in our co-op with expertise in many different areas, including involvement in EU funded projects
- Over 10 years experience
- We have a local population very willing to open their homes and businesses and participate in research projects.
- We are motivated and visionary, and want to be at the forefront offering inspiration and example to others.
- We have a high profile and reputation as a Sustainable Energy Community (SEC) both here in Ireland and abroad. This includes a number of awards, national and international.