Horizon Europe is the EU’s key funding programme for research and innovation.
Read more about the Horizon Europe programme here.
This call aims to develop new technologies addressing access to key climate data and information services
This topic relates to the Mission’s first and second objective:
- i) preparing and planning for climate resilience and the need for a better understanding of climate change related risks and
- ii) supporting at least 150 European regions and communities in developing their vision of a climate-resilient future and innovation pathways to reach it.
The successful proposal will develop new technologies addressing access to key climate data and information services; such technologies will use improved user-defined and user-friendly tools tailored to regional and community level applications for adaptation to climate change able to build climate resilience in all sectors/services involved; the focus will be on case-specific climatological and physical conditions critical for the areas mentioned in the Mission Implementation Pla.
Read more in the Work Programme - Missions, page 46.
Projects are expected to contribute to all of the following outcomes:
- Better access to, and transformation of, the already openly available climate data in the C3S Climate Data Sto, Climate ADAPT and relevant Horizon 2020 projects or other initiatives (such as GEOSS) into user-relevant climate change services, in combination with locally sourced data and information, where available. Long-term safeguarding of developed solutions by integration in the operational infrastructure and services of the Climate Data Store should also be explored.
- Beyond-state-of-the-art relevant information (including climate, socio-economic, demographic information) services and tools tailored to Mission users’ needs (decision makers, local and regional authorities and other end users), with customizable data-manipulation tools available for use and re-use.
- Quality-controlled climate data services that the Mission could build upon, supported and maintained as customizable, user-oriented components of operationally supported EU services (such as the C3S). Projects might want to refer to, and follow guidance, from the project under the topic on “Supporting and standardising climate services”,
- Tested FAIR data governance and management mechanisms that enable the sharing, community validation and use of locally sourced data (e.g. citizen-generated data) and information, in combination with authoritative data and information as part of the European Green Deal Data Space.
- Demonstrated application in at least 5 EU regions or communities.
To be eligible for funding, applicants must be established in one of the eligible countries, i.e.:
- the Member States of the European Union, including their outermost regions;
- the Overseas Countries and Territories (OCTs) linked to the Member States;
- eligible non-EU countries including countries associated to Horizon Europe and low- and middle-income countries.
Any legal entity, regardless of its place of establishment, including legal entities from non-associated third countries or international organisations (including international European research organisations 1) is eligible to participate (whether it is eligible for funding or not), provided that the conditions laid down in the Horizon Europe Regulation have been met, along with any other conditions laid down in the specific call topic.
A ‘legal entity’ means any natural or legal person created and recognised as such undernational law, EU law or international law, which has legal personality and which may, acting in its own name, exercise rights and be subject to obligations, or an entity without legal personality.
Unless otherwise provided for in the specific call conditions, legal entities forming a consortium are eligible to participate in actions provided that the consortium includes:
- at least one independent legal entity established in a Member State; and
- at least two other independent legal entities, each established in different Member States or Associated Countries.